Archaeology Permits and Guidelines
Archaeology permits are available in three categories: Reconnaissance, Research and Resource Impact Assessment.
To apply for a permit follow these steps:
1. Review the guidelines for the applicable permit.
2. Complete, sign and date the Heritage Research Permit.
3. Complete the 'Description of Project' that must accompany the permit.
4. Submit your application to the Special Places Program.
5. If this project has the potential to impact Mi’kmaq cultural resources Archaeologists are encouraged to engage the Mi’kmaq as part of project planning and implementation.
Standards for Archaeological Impact Assessment and Reporting in Debert and Belmont, Nova Scotia (PDF 4.2 MB)
If you are planning to do archaeological assessment work in the Debert-Belmont area, these standards must be followed. They provide the most effective testing methodologies for Paleo-Indian sites.