Active Communities Fund
The Active Communities Fund supports community-wide initiatives to encourage less-structured physical activity and movement. Funds will be distributed based on eligibility until we have distributed all the money or by December 1st, 2022.
The Active Communities Fund helps communities encourage physical activity and movement through policies, social initiatives or physical environments. Projects should target community members who are less active, or who have fewer opportunities for physical activity.
The fund supports the Let’s Get Moving Nova Scotia action plan.
To apply for a grant, you must be:
- a municipality
- a village
- a Nova Scotian Mi’kmaw band
- a registered not-for-profit society or co-operative
- Regional Centre for Education
We encourage applicants to partner with municipalities, the health sector, schools or workplaces for their applications.
Please note: there are different guidelines and applications for community applicants (municipalities, villages, Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw bands) and not-for-profit applicants.
Before you apply
We encourage you to contact the program representative for your area and talk about your proposal before you apply. You should consider how you plan to reach and engage your target group.
Applications from communities that exceed $5000, should include a one-year community-wide physical activity plan.
How to apply
For not-for-profit organization or Regional Centres for Education
If you represent a not-for-profit organization:
- Review the community organization guidelines (PDF)
- Download and complete the community organization program application (PDF)
For municipality, village or Nova Scotian Mi’kmaw band
If you represent a municipality, village or Nova Scotian Mi’kmaw band
- Review the municipality, village or Nova Scotian Mi’kmaw band program guidelines (PDF)
- Download and complete the municipality, village or Nova Scotian Mi’kmaw band program application (PDF)